Monday, April 21, 2014

His and Her Travel Review: Rainbow Sands Beach on Fraser Island, Australia

Mondays are World-Wide Travel Days on our blog. We love sharing all the places we have been and all the fun things we have experienced. Finding a "R" spot was a little tricky, but, lucky for us, we had one.
 


Rainbow Sands is a small section of sand dunes on Fraser Island in Australia. Fraser island is the world's largest sand island off the coast of Queensland, about 120 miles north of Brisbane. There are many things to see on the island and it is a unique experience. We booked a day tour so we could see all of the main sights in one day and it was definitely the best way to see the island. 

One of the stops was the Rainbow Sands and it was one of the highlights of the tour that I was most looking forward to. I have seen many different colours of sand on beaches around the world but I have never seen multiple colours in one small spot. It was really interesting to see all of the different colours that were piled up on the sand dunes. At first it looked like a regular cliff by the beach, but once I remembered that the island was all made from sand it made this formation even more impressive. I have no clue how all of these different colours of sand ended up in one place, but it was unlike anything I had ever seen before. We only spent a few minutes here before we headed off to our next stop on the tour, but it is something that I will never forget.

Fraser Island was a beautiful place! Sean's mum (hey hon - did you see I spelled it right?!?) really wanted to visit the Island and I didn't see the appeal. I tagged along, however, because I wasn't going to argue with a native. She was so very right about everything! The Rainbow Sands are massive, massive sand dunes that are a rainbow of colors. I have never seen anything like it. I have seen sand dunes before, but never ones that were craggy and so rock-like. And certainly never ones where the sand had turned colors. The pictures do not do it justice. Promise me - if you are ever in this part of the world - you will go to Fraser Island! You will not be sorry.

Below are some more photos of the Rainbow Sands:

Its impressive how high these sand cliffs rise above the beach!

Incredible height and cragginess. (Is that a word? It must be because there is no red squiggly line.) They look more like mountains than sand.

I don't understand how this sand can stack so high like this but my sandcastles always fell over when they were more than a few inches high.

As you got closer, you could see more clearly that it was sand. I reached out an touched a spot to be sure my eyes were not deceiving me. I expected hard rock, but found soft sand.

Some of the trees are even growing on the sand cliffs.


Have you ever been to Fraser Island or seen something similar to this in your travels?


Happy Traveling,

4 comments:

  1. How beautiful!

    http://carolsnotebook.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have had to reach out and touch as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Those are fabulous photos. I bet you are glad you decided to go along. I have never been to Fraser Island or even heard of it, but I have always wanted to travel to Australia from here in the USA someday. Maybe I will still make it. Enjoyed my visit with you today. Maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is INCREDIBLE! Man, those blow our USA east coast sand dunes out of the water, lol. They remind me of those sand art craft projects, where you layer a vase/bottle/etc with different color sand.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...