Thursday, March 20, 2014

Her Students' Bookmarks

Our state wide writing test is over!! *happy dance*


The students are excited! I am excited!! We are all excited!!!

But now that the writing test is behind us, we have to turn our attention back to reading. The kids will have another state wide test in May - a reading one this time. To get them back into the reading mind and to thank them for all the hard work they did preparing for the writing test, I made them some bookmarks. My hope is that they will use them during our SSR (sustained silent reading) time and remember how proud I am of them and how grateful I am for all their hard work.
 
I think they turned out great!

Here's how I made them...
I used this product from Teachers Pay Teachers. She has all different templates for bookmarks in the one download.
I put the students' names on the front of the bookmark...
 
Each student will get a personalized bookmark.
...and a quote about reading on the back. The quotes and students were matched at random.
 
I love Dr. Seuss!!
Here are the quotes that I used:
"If you are going to get anywhere in life you had to read a lot of books." ~Roald Dahl
"So please, oh PLEASE, we beg, we pray, Go throw your TV set away, And in its place you can install, A lovely bookshelf on the wall." ~Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
"I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library." ~Jorge Luis Borges
"There are perhaps no days of our childhood we lived so fully as those we spent with a favorite book." ~Marcel Proust
"You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend." ~Paul Sweeney
"The more you read, the more things you know, the more that you learn, the more places you'll go." ~Dr. Seuss
"Anyone who says they only have one life to live must not know how to read a book." ~Author Unknown
"It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will be when you can't help it." ~Oscar Wilde
"There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island." ~Walt Disney
"I cannot live without books." ~Thomas Jefferson
"I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage (fix)." ~Charles De Secondat
"Books can be dangerous. The best ones should be labeled, "This could change your life.'" ~Helen Exley
"Never judge a book by its movie." ~J.W. Eagan
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one." ~George R.R. Martin
"Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are." ~Mason Cooley
"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." ~Sir Richard Steele
"There is no friend as loyal as a book." ~R. G. Collingwood
"Books are a uniquely portable magic." ~Stephen King
"Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them." ~Lemony Snicket, Horseradish: Bitter Truths You Can't Avoid
"If a book is well-written, I always find it too short." ~Jane Austen

I laminated the bookmarks for durability and hole punched the top so the ribbon could go through.
 
Laminated, hole punched, and waiting for ribbon.
I chose Dr. Seuss ribbon that I found at a Joann's Fabrics store nearby. I think the students will like that choice. Dr. Seuss is also gender neutral which is nice. 
I cut each strip 12 inches long. That seemed like the perfect length.
To add the ribbon to the bookmark, I first folded the ribbon in half and threaded it through the holes I had punched.
 
The loop was in the front of the bookmark.
Then I put the ends through the loop in the ribbon.
How much fun is Cat in the Hat ribbon?
Finally, I pulled tight and twisted the ends so that both "fronts" were facing the same direction.
Ta-Da! Each one took me only about a minute so they went very fast.
Here they are - ready to be delivered as both a "thank you" gift and a "let's get ready for another test" gift. I hope the students like them!
"I do not like Green Eggs and Ham. I do not like them Sam I Am."

Do you do little things like this for your students or kids when they have a big test coming?  I would love some ideas as that reading test gets closer and closer.


Happy Reading,

4 comments:

  1. These are so cute! You seem like such a fun teacher!

    ~Ashley @ A Cute Angle
    acutelifestyle.blogspot.com
    *100 Books to Read in a Lifetime Giveaway happening now!*

    ReplyDelete
  2. You didn't knit them bookmarks?! Course the quotes would have been a little tougher to embroider in... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love making and getting bookmarks and I am far,far from being a youngster. It is fun to have a personalized one that you can call your very own.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...