Thursday, February 7, 2013

His: Bucket List

        Just about everyone has a bucket list and after hitting my 35th birthday I gave some thought as to what would be on my bucket list. Most of the things on my list right now are running races or triathlons. I do have a couple of places I would like to travel but that is another story and probably won't happen till I am old and greyer (I am already getting grey hairs). Below are some of the races I would like to participate in before I kick the bucket.

1: Sun Herald City2Surf: Sydney, Australia
Source
I remember watching this race on TV as a child and thinking how cool it would be to be able to run in this event one day. However it remained nothing more than a cool idea as I had never run more than a mile in my life. The race is billed as the world's largest fun run with 85,000 participants and meanders from downtown Sydney to Bondi Beach over 14km (9 miles).
When I plan to do this:  I have the opportunity to run in this event this year as I will be in Australia when the event is on this year. I am very excited to be able to take part in this event and cross it off my list. If you happen to be in Sydney on August 11th, come cheer me on!
Race Website: http://www.city2surf.com.au/


2: Walt Disney World Marathon: Orlando, Florida
Source









































 I never thought I would ever want to run a marathon until I saw this one. The course takes you through all 4 of the Disney parks in Orlando. I think this would be a fun way to see the park and have a fun race at the same time.
When I plan to do this: It will like be a couple of years from now as I need to build up my mileage and have enough vacation time to head to Florida for the race.
Race Website: http://www.rundisney.com/disneyworld-marathon/


3: Ironman Australia: Port Macquarie, Australia
Source
The challenge of swimming 2.4 miles, biking 112 miles and running 26.2 miles is daunting for anyone. I used to vacation in Port Macquarie as a child and competing in an Ironman distance event there would be an awesome challenge.
When I plan to do this: No set time as it will take a lot of training, time and money to get to Australia for the event. Lets say sometime in the next 30 years.
Race Website: http://ironmanaustralia.com/


4: Pikes Peak Ascent: Manitou Spring, Florida
Source
This one just sounds cool and just a little crazy. You start off at Manitou Springs which is a little over 6,000ft in elevation which is high enough for this sea level dweller. The next 13.1 miles meanders up the Pike Peak highway to the summit which is a little over 14,000ft. The air is thin enough at the summit to take your breath away just walking around, let alone running/walking up the entire mountain.
When I plan to do this: Probably not for a while. Ideally I would need to spend a week or two in Colorado prior to the race so I could get used to the higher altitude. Maybe within the next 10-20 years.
Race Website: http://www.pikespeakmarathon.org

Now that I put this list together I can come up with quite a few more races that are on my bucket list but those will be saved for another post. Is there any races that you would like to put on your bucket list?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...